Jesus College, Oxford offers a Visiting Senior Research Fellowship to a scholar of international distinction in research who holds a remunerated post in another University or equivalent and who wishes to spend time in Oxford to pursue their research.
Jesus College has a strong commitment to promoting and enabling education, learning, scholarship and research at the highest levels amongst its students and academic staff, whilst preserving an informal and friendly atmosphere. Founded in 1571 by Elizabeth I, the College is a self-governing educational charity and is one of the 39 constituent colleges of Oxford University. With Professor Sir Nigel Shadbolt, FRS FREng, as its Principal, the College comprises over 100 Fellows, 50 lecturers, 330 postgraduates and just under 400 undergraduates, and 90 support staff. The College is located on an attractive historic site in
the centre of Oxford, with excellent access to the Bodleian Library and other University libraries, the Science Area, and the University’s department and faculty buildings. Two annexe sites, in north and east Oxford, allow the College to provide accommodation for almost all its students.
Aim and Benefits
- Free accommodation: usually a flat comprising one bedroom, a study, a living room, kitchen and bathroom, suitable for a single person or couple. The flat is in Thelwall House, located at the College’s annexe site at Herbert Close in east Oxford, next to the College’s playing fields. More information may be found at https://www.jesus.ox.ac.uk/study-here/life-at-jesus/accomodation/. (The Fellow will be responsible for utility charges.) Alternative accommodation might be available in the single-occupancy apartments in the Cheng Yu Tung Building. Whilst the College has very little accommodation suitable for those with families, we would endeavour to find suitable accommodation for a successful candidate who wished to bring their family to Oxford.
- Dining rights: the Fellow will be entitled to lunch and dinner, free of charge, with the Senior Common Room during term and vacation, except when the kitchens are closed.
- Office space in College (equipped with a standard Windows desktop PC and black & white printer).
- Membership of the Senior Common Room (SCR): £60 per annum charge payable. Please note that a Visiting Senior Research Fellowship does not carry with it membership of Governing Body.
The College seeks applications from candidates in any field of research, although there is a preference this year for candidates in the Humanities and Social Sciences. Applications are particularly welcome from women and black and minority ethnic candidates, who are under-represented in academic posts in Oxford.
Interview date, Process and Venue
The successful candidate will meet the following criteria:
- Possess clear international academic distinction in research.
- Hold a remunerated post in another University or equivalent.
- Have a plan for spending time in Oxford to pursue their research.
- Wish to spend between one term and one academic year in Oxford.
- The VSRF is open to candidates from any field of research, although there is a preference this year for candidates in the Humanities and Social Sciences.Applications are particularly welcome from women, and black and minority ethnic candidates, who are under-represented in academic posts in Oxford.
- Be willing and able to support the College’s activities by participating in College life.
Documents Required for Application
Please note that you will be asked to upload the following (PDF files only):
- A full Curriculum Vitae.
- A proposal for the use of the time in Oxford.
- A note containing the names and contact details, including email addresses, of three referees.
Applicants should ask their referees to upload their reference letters via the reference submission portal at https://ams.jesus.ox.ac.uk/Forms/url/VSRFRef.
February 16, 2024
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Jesus College Oxford on ams.jesus.ox.ac.uk to apply
Applicants should complete the online form by the closing date of Friday, 16 February 2024.
It is the responsibility of applicants to ask their referees to upload their reference letters via the reference submission portal by the same date.
Queries may be addressed through the Principal’s PA, Helen Gee ([email protected]).
For more details, visit Jesus College Oxford website.